The Category Test was originally developed for the Halstead-Reitan Battery – “This test measures a patient’s abstraction or concept formation ability, flexibility in the face of complex and novel problem solving, and capacity to learn from experience.” Strauss, E., Sherman, E. and Spreen, O. (2006). A Compendium of Neuropsychological Tests. New York: Oxford University Press.
The Category Test has several test versions, each intended for a different age or purpose. The Meyers Neuropsychological Services Category Test application is a new build on these tests which combines all versions into one program. The different versions can be unlocked by purchasing a license for each.
NOTE: The Category test (all versions) is not transferable to other computers, each purchase is an installation.
The Category Test application is available for Windows and Mac computers. There is an easy user interface, the instructions are given by the software, and each response is timed. Results are displayed in an easy spreadsheet design and can be imported directly into the Meyers Neuropsychological Battery (MNB) or into Excel.
The different test versions are as follows:
- Victoria Version (89 items) is an adult category test. This is the original version used in the MNB and is used with ages 16 to 99 years.
- Full Version (208 items) category test is the traditional version used by the HRB. This is for ages 16-99 years.
- Intermediate Version (83 Items) is for ages 9-15 years.
- Young Child Version (80 Items) is for age 5-8 years.
- Aeromedical Version (120 Items) is a version that has items identified as part of a test for pilots. (Note: Recent directive from Gary Kay is to give the Full Version of the test, then calculate the Aeromedical Version score. The Full Version will automatically calculate the Aeromedical error score.)